If you’re reading about Ayurveda you may have heard about ghee and the 11 benefits of ghee in Ayurveda.
Ghee is a type of clarified butter that has been used for centuries in India for its healing properties.
The benefits of Ghee include:
- Ghee is a natural detoxifier.
- Ghee helps improve digestion and absorption of food.
- Ghee lubricates the intestines and helps elimination of waste.
- Ghee helps balance gut bacteria and improves gut health.
- Ghee supports healthy thyroid function.
- Ghee lubricates the joints and prevents joint pain.
- It helps improve the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins and minerals.
- Ghee strengthens the immune system and fights infection.
- Ghee is anti-inflammatory and helpful for arthritis and joint pain relief.
- Ghee is a natural source of Vitamin A, D, E and K2 and other important nutrients.
- It is beneficial for skin health, and can be used as a moisturizer or skin cleanser.
Ayurveda, one of the oldest holistic healing systems in the world, considers ghee to be a sacred substance with many benefits.
Also read more about 15 guiding principles for eating ayurvedically.
Read more research about ghee on National Library of Medicine
How is ghee made
You can make ghee by boiling butter until the water evaporates.
The milk solids will sink to the bottom.
The clear, golden liquid that is left is high in fat and calories but has a lot of benefits for your health and well-being.
Ghee recipes for health and wellness
Here are a few recipes that use ghee to improve health and well-being.
- Ghee and honey for energy – Combine 1 teaspoon of ghee with 1 teaspoon of honey in a cup of hot water. Sip slowly to boost energy levels.
- Ghee and turmeric for joint pain – Mix 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder into 1/4 teaspoon of ghee. Apply to the affected area to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Ghee and ginger for nausea – Combine 1/4 teaspoon of ghee with 1/4 teaspoon of fresh ginger juice. Sip slowly to relieve nausea.
- Ghee and cumin for digestion – Add 1/4 teaspoon of cumin powder to 1/4 teaspoon of ghee and eat before meals to improve digestion.
- Ghee and garlic for colds – Combine equal parts garlic paste and ghee. Apply to the chest and throat to help clear congestion and fight infection during colds or flu.
- Ghee and lavender for stress relief – Add 2 drops of lavender oil to 1/4 teaspoon of ghee. Apply to the forehead or temples to relieve stress and promote relaxation.
- Ghee and lemon for detoxification – Add the juice of half a lemon to 1/4 teaspoon of ghee, then drink before breakfast each morning for one week to help detoxify the body.
- Ghee and rosemary for cognitive function – Add 2 drops of rosemary oil to 1/4 teaspoon of ghee, then consume before studying or working on mentally challenging tasks as rosemary oil has been shown to improve cognitive function. 9)Ghee and cinnamon bark for weight loss– Add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon bark powder to 1/4 teaspoon ghee, then consume before breakfast each morning as part of a healthy weight loss plan that includes regular exercise and a balanced diet).
- Ghee hair treatment – Massage warm ghee into the scalp, then cover with a shower cap and leave overnight; shampoo out in the morning). OR: Add a few drops of lavender oil or rosemary oil to warm ghee, then apply evenly throughout hair; leave in for 30 minutes, then shampoo out).
Why Ghee is considered a sacred substance in Ayurveda
Ghee is considered a sacred substance in ayurveda for its many benefits.
Ghee is known to improve energy levels, joint pain, digestion, colds, and cognitive function.
Ghee is also used as a hair treatment to help nourish the scalp and hair.
Common questions about the benefits of ghee in ayurveda
Does ghee increase Pitta?
Ghee is known to increase Pitta, but only in small amounts.
If you are concerned about increasing Pitta, you can consume ghee with cooling foods such as cucumber, mint, or watermelon.
Can ghee be used for weight loss?
Yes, ghee can be used for weight loss as part of a healthy weight loss plan that includes regular exercise and a balanced diet.
Is it good to take ghee everyday?
Yes, it is good to take ghee every day as it has many benefits for health and well-being.
What are the disadvantages of ghee?
There are no known disadvantages of ghee.
However, as with all things, it is important to consume ghee in moderation as it is high in fat and calories.
Does ghee remove toxins?
Yes, ghee has detoxifying properties and can help remove toxins from the body.
Ghee helps to remove toxins from the body by promoting regularity and aiding in digestion.
Ghee also helps to detoxify the liver.
Who should avoid ghee?
People with Pitta constitutions should avoid consuming large amounts of ghee as it can increase Pitta.
People who are trying to lose weight should also avoid consuming large amounts of ghee as it is high in fat and calories.
Finally, people with dairy allergies should avoid consuming ghee.
Does ghee contain vitamin B12?
No, ghee does not contain vitamin B12. Vitamin B12 is found in animal products such as meat, fish, eggs, and dairy.
How much ghee per day is healthy?
There is no definitive answer as to how much ghee per day is healthy.
However, it is generally recommended to consume 1-2 teaspoons of ghee per day.